Miss Mary L. Babcock, graduate of the New Haven Normal School of Gymnastics, was hired in 1907 as the first Physical Education Instructor for women on campus.
In 1929, Miss Alice C. Shriver joined the faculty as director of Women's Athletics. She left the position in 1943 and became the first woman faculty member to serve in the military. Commissioned as a lieutenant in the Navy WAVES (Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service), she was one of only 100 female Naval officers during World War II.
Gertrude Knelleken started in 1951 as Instructor of Physical Education for Women and was promoted to Associate Professor of Physical Education for Women in 1957. In 1962, she was made Assistant Dean of Students, overseeing both men and women.
Lynn Imergoot built the women's athletic program from the ground level up to national contender.
Coaching tennis from 1975 to 2005, Imergoot was a five-time University Athletic Association (UAA) Coach of the Year. She also served as:
- Director of women's and co-ed intramurals, 1973 - 1979
- Coordinator of Women's Athletics, 1977 - 1984
- Assistant Athletic Director, 1984 - 2005