Past and Present

Woman’s Club Charter Members
Woman's Club Charter Members, 1950

PAST

The Woman’s Club of Washington University was organized on December 5, 1910. Its purpose was to facilitate social interaction between the wives of Medical School faculty and the wives of faculty on the Hilltop (Danforth) Campus. The first regular meeting of the Club was held on January 9, 1911, in the gymnasium of McMillan Hall as noted in the Club’s minutes. The constitution stated that the purpose of the Club was solely for social interaction. There were 108 charter members. Dues were set at $1.00.

 

Woman's Club Board, 2010
Woman's Club Board, 2010

PRESENT

Today the Woman's Club of Washington University:

  • offers a welcoming environment
  • encourages friendships and inclusiveness
  • creates opportunities for growth and stimulation
  • promotes service to the Washington University community

 

Membership is open to all those affiliated with the University including faculty, staff, alumnae, and their spouses/partners or widows, or friends of Washington University. As of 2010 there are 248 members and
dues are $35.00. For more information: http://womansclub.wustl.edu/